Saturday, March 14, 2015

It's time to build this thing!!!

OK, so after time off from this project (basically right after it started) I'm back at it and I have most of the materials and parts to complete it before spring!


First off, let's go over the technical list of parts I purchased for this automated planter box so far:

I will be using an Arduino Mico to monitor and control the system with the following sensors:

4x YL-69 Hydrometer (one for each plant)
2x DS18B20 Waterproof temperature sensor (will be used to monitor root temperature)
2x GL5515 Photoresistor (to monitor sunlight uptake by the plants)

Watering of the plants will be controlled using two 5V two channel relays that will switch between either city water or a custom rain catch system I am creating for this unit (more on that later).

To analyze data and the progress of the system, I'm adding a micro SD storage module.

There is a plan to add solar power to this planter to take it off-grid however, I have to search around for the exact type of system I want to use - so stay tuned for that as well. It's probably going to be a completely custom system.


The core system (one each of sensors and parts)

I have also been considering adding pH probes to control feeding the plants but that is something I need to do more research on before I decide to add it to the project. Also, I have been thinking of adding CO2 and CO sensors to monitor the amount of those molecules around the plants because the planter location is adjacent to our driveway. 

On to the current state of the planter box.


Now, this isn't going to just be just a plain cedar box with some sensors in it no...no...no. To help preserve the planter I will be inlaying it with fiberglass. OK... here is the best part, I'm planning to also fiberglass in smaller "floating" open-bottom planters inside the larger box in order to control the conditions for each individual plant.


First side after glue (inside)


First side mock up (outside)



Over the last few days I have been cutting, gluing, and staining the pieces to build the planter. As you can see, I have glued the side slats together so that I can stain the sides before adding the trim pieces because they will be stained a different color. I'll also add that I am staining all of the sides of every part as I put it together so that there is maximum water sealing between boards as well. In my next post I will go over how I put the sides together in detail including the size of nails and type of stain I am using. 

OK, that's enough for today, but before I end this post I want to assure all of you reading this that all of the code and circuit design, including the custom rain catch and box design will be documented here for you to use it to create your own planter. I truly believe in open source and invite you to contact me if you think I could do anything better to achieve my project goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment